The Great Barrier Reef :: Backpacker Tours
What's it like on the Great Barrier Reef?
Listed as one of the seven natural wonders of the world, the Great Barrier Reef with its breath-taking brilliance is the world’s largest coral reef. It comprises of over 3,000 individual reefs, coral cays and literally hundreds of picturesque tropical islands.
A Mecca for travellers, The Great Barrier reef offers a unique and magical experience. Whether you’re a marine enthusiast or simply curious of what lies beneath, the Great Barrier Reef will never fail to impress. The calm, warm waters are perfect for a variety of water activities, both on and under the water’s surface. Fun activities include first class sailing, windsurfing and kayaking, and unrivalled scuba-diving and snorkelling.
Stretching as it does, along 300 kilometres of the Queensland coast makes it accessible from many different places. From the Town Of 1770 in the south to Cape Tribulation in the north, the dazzling array of tours heading to the Great Barrier Reef can seem overwhelming.
If time is limited, a day trip the Great Barrier Reef is a great way to tick the “I’ve been to the Great Barrier Reef” box. Either join a small sailing boat, a sleek catamaran, or a large motor vessel. All boats offer free snorkelling, and many offer a free scuba dive experience.
Alternatively, head to an island for a few days. Great Keppel Island and Magnetic Island both offer great deals that appeal to the budget conscience.
Many travellers simply want to scuba dive. Are you looking for a dive course, or are you an advanced diver looking for the ultimate in dive vessels?
Email us with your thoughts, and we can help you find the trip that’s right for you.
Hot Backpacking Deals for the Great Barrier Reef
Here is just a small selection of our most popular backpacker tours and travel packages which explore the Great Barrier Reef. Remember that we are able to adapt any package to ensure that it suits your requirements.
- 2 nights accommodation in Cairns + 2 FREE breakfasts + 1 full day sailing trip to the Outer Barrier Reef (includes all food and soft drink) + FREE introductory or certified dive = $140 (AUD).
- Return ferry transfer between Townsville and Magnetic Island + 2 nights accommodation on Magnetic Island + 1 welcome cocktail + 1 hot meal + 1 hot breakfast + FREE snorkel hire = $94 (AUD).
- 2 nights accommodation in Emu Park (near to Rockhampton) + 1 full day trip to Great Keppel Island (includes all return transfers) = $115 (AUD).
- Book any PADI liveaboard dive course and get 2 FREE nights accommodation in Cairns.
If you'd like more information about these packages, or of you'd like us to build you a personalised travel package, just send us an email. Remember that our travel planning service is totally free and you are under no obligation to buy from us. We also pride ourselves on beating any other genuine travel quotes you may have received.
The Great Barrier Reef: Did you know ...
- The Great Barrier Reef is inhabited by 2,800 species of fish, 400 different types of coral, 215 species of bird, and 500 species of seaweed.
- The Great Barrier Reef is larger than the Great Wall of China, and the only living thing on earth that is visible from space.
- Humpback whales pass through The Great Barrier Reef on their migration every year. They are the fifth largest animal in the world, as big as 600 people (without backpacks!).
- The Great Barrier Reef was accepted for inclusion on the World Heritage List in 1981.
- There are more species of animals and plants in a cubic metre of the Great Barrier Reef than any other environment in the world, including tropical rainforest. Some of the reefs have more types of fish than the entire Caribbean Ocean.